Monday, February 25, 2013

Pumpkin Apple Butter Muffins

Moist, moist muffins.


I'm really in the mood for muffins.  Pumpkin muffins... with apple sauce... NO, apple BUTTER.  Yeahhhhh!

I have a friend who does not like honey.  (Crazy, I know!)  So I want to make muffins she might try.  Something with only fruit for sweetness.  Some cinnamon... cinnamon is tasty with pumpkin.

Too often, breads made with coconut flour are dry and sort of uhh... rubbery.  Like Play-doh but with less flavor.  So let's go easy on the coconut flour.

When I read recipes, I'm usually hungry and in a hurry and if there are too many ingredients or the instructions look complicated, I move on.  I did my best to keep this one simple.  I also made it so you don't have half a can of pumpkin hanging around that you don't know what to do with.

Two suggestions: look for apple butter made with only apples and apple cider.  That's all you need for really great apple butter.  Also, take an extra couple of seconds (and one more thing to wash.. I know!) sift the coconut flour.  It tends to stick together and makes lumps that are hard to break down once it's thrown in the batter.


Pumpkin Apple Butter Muffins

1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup golden flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
5 eggs
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 1/3 cup apple butter
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Optional:
1 cup carrot shreds
1/3 cup dried apricots, diced (or raisins or dried cherries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together coconut flour, flax meal, baking soda, salt, and spices.  In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, coconut oil, and apple butter.  Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then add the apple cider vinegar, carrots, and diced apricots.
Bake in muffin pans with liners for 30 - 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Allow muffins to cool in the pan.









.

No comments:

Post a Comment